Central Church is a rural Church, located in beautiful Back Creek Valley at Ganotown, West Virginia, in western Berkeley County. Its life began in 1890, when on April 26 of that year, the new white frame church was dedicated under the pastorate of W. H. Clary, with Rev. C. H. Crowell as the presiding elder. The church building was 32 ft. by 38 ft. and cost approximately $450. A cemetery, adjoining the church, was started almost immediately with the first grave place October 29, 1891. The nucleus of membership was United Brethren, who found the distance too great to other U. B. Churches on the Jones Spring Charge, and a few Methodists who broke away from their church.
The current cemetery is the location of the original white church.
Over the years Central grew slowly, and with the perseverance of dedicated Christians and the Holy Spirit, made her contribution to the Kingdom in saving men and women from sin. Young people were converted and began to help build the Kingdom, and by the 1940's, the church began to show real growth. It was then that the membership began to give serious thought to enlarging or rebuilding. Because of lack of space within the cemetery, an agreement was finally reached to build a new edifice on the opposite side of the highway.
On February 27, 1955, ground was broken for the new structure to be built in the shape of a cross, 36 ft. by 82 ft. with wings on each side, 16 ft. by 26 ft. Rev. C. A. Moon served as pastor during the planning and construction and finally the dedication on June 24, 1956. The total cost of the new structure, including all furnishings, was $71,000. The membership was 160, with an average attendance of 140 for worship service at that time.
Information taken from Pictorial History of the Virginia Conference by David Franklin Glover, McClure Printing Co., Staunton, Virginia 1965.